Early Orthodontic Treatment
An orthodontist will enhance a smile at any age. However, the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) recommends that the initial orthodontic evaluation should occur no later than age 7. Orthodontic treatment may not be necessary at this early age, but periodic examination can anticipate the most advantageous time to begin treatment.
Signs and habits that indicate the need for early orthodontics examination:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty in chewing or biting
- Mouth breathing
- Thumb or finger sucking
- Crowded, displaced or blocked out teeth
- Jaws that shift or make sounds
- Biting the cheek or roof of the mouth
- Teeth that meet abnormally or not at all
- Jaws and teeth that are out of proportion to the rest of the face.